Low Profile LED Spot Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we are at the building warrant stage of our renovation, as we are to have a vaulted ceiling in the main living space, I am looking at how I am to get lights in. We will be going LED throughout. Issue I see is, between the roof rafters, there will be 80mm Kingspan, then 30mm services gap, this is not enough to sink a normal LED spotlight. I have found many low profile ones, just wondering what other do in this situation? Do these get round this issue?

This king of thing.

https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/panel-ip44-led-downlight-megaman-rico.html
https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/aurora-slim-fit-shallow-led.html

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Luckily you have spotted the problem before you have plastered and it gets rejected by building control.
The downlights you have highlighted are made to resolve this problem. I guess teh 30mm services gap is below the Kingspan? If so, yoiu'll have another 15mm for plasterboard and skim which will be just enough for the low profile downlights.

Alternatively, you could install proper lights that are surface mounted.

Hi,
We are still at design stages, and all this needs to go down for the building warrant (im in Scotland). The service gap is at the front, so we have, slate roof, 20mm air gap, 80mm Kingspan PIR, VPM, 30mm service gap, 12.5mm plasterboard, skim. This is the buildup suggested by architect. So no penetration of insulation needed. The style of light is dictated by the wife.

So you'll have a pitched warm roof.
Dont know how much headroom you have, but you could batten the joists to add extra depth. You need to decide on the light that you will use and design to allow sufficient depth for the lights.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The depth of the beams are already 180mm, the insulation goes between. So not a warm roof as such here the insulation goes above the beams.

This is the design.

roof.png

Have you considered putting LED strips on the top surface of the beams as up lighters to illuminate the ceiling which then reflects softer light down into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back