Changing From Spotlight to LED Downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to do a kitchen renovation which will involve putting in a false ceiling and changing the existing light fitting, which is a 4 bulb spotlight bar, to a number of low wattage mains powered LED spotlights (http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighti...b-and-Connector-Kit-1-x-3W-Super-LED-10867761)

First off, as I am in Scotland and from reading on here, I do not need to notify my local authority of this. THe room use is not changing and we are not moving switches etc. Can anyone confirm that?

Secondly, we will be fitting 11 of the LED lights and plan on using 2 6 way junction boxes to achieve this, using the feed that was running the original light. Will that be OK?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I cant comment on what is/isnt notifiable but that link appears to be a 3w GU10 led bulb and conector, no housing? I would have thought you would typically by the housing (with connector) and then your bulb of choice but eitherway you will need something for the bulb to sit in.

My downlighters in my kitchen are daisy chained in two chains from what I presume was a single central fitting.

Daniel

Oh yes, we've bought the surrounds as well, for the correct kitchen zones. I didn't think they were relevant to the wiring query though, so didn't mention.

Sponsored Links
I too have to admit im not a fan of downlighters although they do look nice, we have gu10 8*50w halogens in my kitchen which is around 3*6meters and its not bad. You get mild shaddowing of the worktops but its ok. For me the main issue is that 8*50 is nearly half a kw! Less of an issue in winter but a fair waste in summer. And in the bathroom (1stfloor) you have a big leakage path to the attick in terms of heatloss and air tighness.

May parents have gu10 CCFL spot lights which are a better, but thena gain they have four sets of three (12) of them in a room thats about 4*3m. They also have some LEDs (both 3led expensive ones, and cluster based ones off ebay) in with the CCFLs which in those numbers work but it depends what you want.

I like the look but am seriously considering ripping mine out and putting in florecent based downlights like the ones in the TLC elec link on one of the threads linked to above.

Daniel

I have sadly already bought 11 of these, so I'm stuck with them.

Back to the 2 original questions though - am I ok to proceed?

I'll answer my first question by saying no, I don't need to notify anyone. I called the council to check and they said it was all fine.

Thought I'd update this for completeness.

We went ahead and installed the LED downlights in the kitchen. It was a gamble, especially after what was said here.

I am happy to report that they are excellent. They are indeed very bright and illuminate the room extremely well. Anything brighter would have been too bright.

I would however say it took our eyes a few hours to adjust to the different type of light, as it is very white, but after those initial couple of hours, we don't notice it.

For info:

we ended up using 13 lights. Each was a 3W B&Q LED "Hi Power" GU10 light.

The room is 5.2m long x 3.2m wide by 3.2m high.

Maybe your ceiling being so high makes a difference in that it gives the narrow beam more distance to spread out.

In my kitchen (about half the size of yours) there are 6 GU10 LED downlights (6w), and i find the floor is illuminated perfectly, worktops are soso and everything above worktop level (ie the walls, cupboards etc) are cast in shadows of varying degrees and is generally pretty crap looking.

The only thing I'll say is that we don't yet have any wall cabinets in - although those will be down one wall only and the lights are about 20 cm further out from the wall than the cabinets will be.

So there may be some shadows yet - but at the moment the spread of light is lovely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back