LED downlights - why max of 4w LED?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive noticed that on several downlights it says a max of 4w led bulbs which is equivalent of a 50w halogen bulb. (Screwfix contractor pack)

Why is this? Why can’t I put say a super bright 8w LED in?

I’ve not got these fittings yet, but looking for some serious light output. Any suggestions for cheap “contractor” packs that can take some high watt LED bulbs.

Sponsored Links
Higher wattage = more heat, more likely to overheat and fail.

If you want high power good quality LEDs, then it will not be with cheap contractor crap.

Why can’t I put say a super bright 8w LED in?
Maybe it cannot dissipate the heat from a higher wattage LED lamp.

LEDs may not produce anything like as much heat as an incandescent, and they would not trouble the fitting, but they are extremely intolerant of the little they do produce. Look at all the MR16 replacement lamps which have large heatsinks.

I’ve not got these fittings yet, but looking for some serious light output. Any suggestions for cheap “contractor” packs that can take some high watt LED bulbs.
It is not without merit to say

"Cheap LEDs aren't good, and good LEDs aren't cheap".

If a spot light is aimed at a white surface to reflect the light then the high output bulb will give out a lot of useable light. I have some pods which can actually be set to reflect off the ceiling, I have not set them that way, what I wanted was to light a dark corner of bedroom without needing to run wires to that corner. I suppose this is the point, they are spot lights, and as spot lights they work well, but to be able to aim at a light wall or ceiling they need to be surface mounted on ceiling as pods not fixed pointing straight down, and as pods there is good cooling as well.

It fixed pointing down then most of the light is absorbed by the floor so to get more light you need more area, and larger spot lights have cooling fins so less area.

Sponsored Links
... I suppose this is the point, they are spot lights, and as spot lights they work well ....
Spot lights are indeed available, and do work well for what they are intended for.

However, would you really describe a light with a beam angle of, say, 135° as being a 'spotlight'? It would certainly not be very good at doing the job of a 'spotlight'!

Kind Regards, John

I think to spot light a picture on the wall they work well. However there are some duel marked where the light is center weighted, these are a problem used sinlglely but and advantage when using a cluster.

I have two pods on the wall each side of the bed head, quite close to where I hold my book, here the angle is critical, too large it keeps my wife awake and too narrow does not light whole book. At around 500 mm from book max, 3 watt LED is ample. Was 35 watt quartz which was dangerous, if I forgot and went to adjust it could give one a nasty burn.

But whole point is area matters, and unless the light is defused 16/8 inch is too small for anything over 5W, and where cooling fins reduce the lit area then often 3W is the max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back