Installing kitchen bridging unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to start installing our new kitchen.!!
The plans for the bridging unit, states us plinth to fill either side of the bridge unit.

Does anybody know what that means and how?

Attachments

• 2017-05-13 21.00.41.jpg
    2017-05-13 21.00.41.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 2017-05-13 20.59.48.jpg
    2017-05-13 20.59.48.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
is there a gap? can't see it.

Or do they mean to dress up an exposed part of the cabinet side?

Ah - I think they might mean, to hold the units further apart so there is an air circulation gap round the sides of the FF

I think the kitchen planner said I may struggle to open the fridge/freezer door with an opening of 600mm. The plinths are not as wide as the bridge and larder unit. Also deco side panels are to be fitted on both sides of each larder unit (full length)

Sponsored Links
Some modern fridges will stand proud of the kitchen units, whilst older ones will sit further back into the recess. If you were to open the fridge door, and then measure the combined width, you'd find it was about 650mm however, as a fridge normally requires at least a 40mm gap around it for air circulation, you need to take all these things into consideration. So, you'd actually be looking for a gap of about 700mm, and that would then mean you want a 50mm filling piece aither side of the bridgine unit, but as they tend to get screwed to the side units, you need a couple of packing pieces on either side to secure the bridging unit to the packers and then to the side units.

Although it's not a cheap way of doing it, I use a end panel to make up the filling pieces, and that gives it a much better match than using plinth. Alternatively, as the bridging unit will cover the top, you could swipe a bit off the back at the top for the filler pieces.

Seems to be to create a gap so fridge can slide in, plinth use means there will also be an air gap up and over the top as the plinth only occupies the front edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back