Installing Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just tried to install a new light flitting in place of an existing rose. There are currently three cables so 2 x earth, 2 x live, 2 x neutral. After disconnecting the rose I had hoped that all I would have to do was put all live, earth and neutral cables in relevant connector. Unfortunately this made the fuse trip. I have now disconnected the fitting but have left off the rose (as i didn't take a note of what wires went where!). This now means that two other lights downstairs do not work. Could this mean I have some sort of looping system?

Can someone please advise on how I can install the new light fitting or re-install the old rose.

Sponsored Links
serch the forum, this happens alteast 2 times a week, there are many answers

Cheked the forum. I see your point! I may re-install the rose for a while then. How can I check which cable runs to the switch without taking the floorboards up?

When it comes to installing the new light fitting am I better off keeping the wire connections on the rose loop-in system and just run the live and neutral to the new fitting. This will ensure the loop is kept entact?

well, no, that breaks regs as you have to keep joints accesable, so you will have to use a besa box, or 4chock blocks in the bas of fitting, way to find sw is to turn off leccy, dis connect all black wires, open switch, put a flying lead from a continuety tester onto the black in the switch and to each black in turn at the rose, till you get continuety, then tag this with red tape.

SS

Sponsored Links
assuming you have a continuity meter (simple to make one) you do not nead a flying lead to the light switch put the continuity tester across the red and black and operate the switch.

Can you tell me how I would wire using 4 choc boxes. Hopefully I can fit into base so would avoid taking floorboards up. Another option would be to re-wire the rose. The plate may then fit into the base. Would this be ok too?

1 chock block strip but 8 terminals would be easier, search forums, it will be wired the same as ceiling rose

joeh said:
... Unfortunately this made the fuse trip ...

It wasn't unfortunate - quite the reverse. If the fuse hadn't tripped your wiring might have caught fire....:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back