installing new close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy. I am in the process to install a new close coupled cistern. The cistern comes with two rubber washers, a plastic washer, a metal plate and a rubber doaughnut. A rubber washer goes inside the cistern between the syphon and the bottom of the cistern. Then on outside of the cistern what goes first? Rubber washer, plastic washer, metal plate and daughnut in this order? Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
On the outside of the cistern I'd have the plastic washer (to spread the load on the ceramic) then the steel plate, secured by the large plastic backnut. The other rubber washer may not be needed. After that comes the squashy doughnut.
The rubber washer on the inside of the cistern should stop leaks from there, but you can always give it a test before fitting the cistern to the pan.
I like to give the doughnut washer a hand with a healthy squidge of silicone, but others may disagree.
John :)

Apply some mastic underneath in the gap between the thread and the hole in the cistern. This will stop any leaks down the thread.

Hi guys and thanks for your replies.What sort of mastic should i apply underneath between the thread and the cistern hole? Plumersmate will do or slx? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Burnerman. How long shall i leave it for before using the toilet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back