Installing outside tap - Help!

What would you use then?

Remembering you will have to isolate the mains cold and drain the exsisting water out of the pipe so it don't freeze?

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher said:
How do you drain the water out of the DCV if the drain-off is after?
Er, why would you want to BB? We're only talking about a cupful between stop cock and DCV. Aren't we?

Drain-off is to drain the water from everything after the stoptap. :D
In which case a DOC before the DCV wouldn't achieve that, because of the DCV.

Sponsored Links
I have to put in a lot more effort that that these days Dan ;)

Softus said:
ChrisR said:
I have to put in a lot more effort that that these days Dan ;)
Does this do it Chris? :D

and how often will those great big things fit under a little sink space? Mini Valves are fine!

yerino said:
and how often will those great big things fit under a little sink space? Mini Valves are fine!
Apart from the handle, the Arrow valve is the same size as the thing you rather weirdly refer to as a "mini valve".

In any case, I wasn't advocating the use of this one under a sink - it was merely an illustration of the things that get the sap rising in some of us.

Does this do it Chris?

bv209.jpg

Don't know Arrow particularly. Most are OK on cold water, but some leak on hot. The better ones have a compressible gland seal. Peglers and PC's own brand are OK.

Only planet-polluting lower life forms would fit one of these
p1066545_l.jpg

on an outside tap. Even the WRAS approved ones (most aren't) are not suitable.

Softus said:
yerino said:
Apart from the handle, the Arrow valve is the same size as the thing you rather weirdly refer to as a "mini valve".

In any case, I wasn't advocating the use of this one under a sink - it was merely an illustration of the things that get the sap rising in some of us.

They are not the same size :) As I have both infront of me and there is quite a difference :)

I use the big bore quarter turn valves for instances like hot water to a bath...

With mains the pressure is so great you can use a "mini-valve" as I call it or a ball operated valve as you call it!

Mains header tank in the attic... Cold mains coming in THROUGH a mini-valve!

ball operated valve as you call it!
Wrong yet again. Nobody's calling it that.
The point is it must be full flow, or near to it, and not leak. Yours fails on the first count, and the second as well if it's a cheap one.
Cowboys and amateurs think they "get away" with fitting all sorts of junk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back