Installing panel heaters on 32amp mcb ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we need to install fixed heating at our cadet hut, we have 2 x 32amp mcb redundant rings in the buidling with 13amp hard wire points in appropriate places for panel heaters. I'm intending to install 2 x 1.5kw and 2 x 1.25kw on one ring and 3 x 1.25kw dimplex panel heaters on the other ring is this safe to do so or would i be exceeding the limit on the mcb?

Sponsored Links
Assuming your points are each fused at 13A it will be just fine.

Always good to keep your cadets warm, or you could go green and make them run around a bit more ;)

current (amps) = power (watts) / voltage (volts).

Add up all the loads.

Work it out.

By the way, electric heating is very inefficient.

:eek: that was a quick reply, many thanx. i can get the heaters ordered and installed before winter comes.

Would love to go green with the cadets and make run around more but the cadet forces have gone all pink and fluffy in this age of polictical correctness.

Sponsored Links
Would their budget stretch to heat pumps? These can be 400% efficient ;) Based on air conditioning technology. So you pay for 1kw and get 4kw of heat!

Forgetmakonot said:
Heat Pumps? sorry totally lost me there crafty... please explain for me
heat pumps are expensive and require maintainance - however, they pay for themselves probably within 2 years.

A standard heat pump can be fitted by an air con company. They will install a blower inside, either on the wall or the ceiling, that looks like an air con unit. They will install a blower outside that also looks like an air con unit. The 2 are linked by pipework.

These units can work as air conditioners. They take heat from indoors and expel it outdoors via refrigerant in the pipes. They will also work in reverse! Take heat from outdoors and expel it indoors! They work well, even when it snows outside and its below zero. :D

Forgetmakonot said:
Heat Pumps? sorry totally lost me there crafty... please explain for me

Air conditioners to you and me, a lot of the newer ones can work in reverse and as well as removing heat from the inside and dumping it outside, they can be switched to gather heat from the outside and bring it inside, as the COP rating is invarably greater then 1, you get a better return for your electricity by using it move heat around instead of converting it directly to heat

AHH i see DOH! simple really, not sure if their budget will allow it but i will take the idea to the old farts on the management side and let them decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back