Installing PIR for external PIR with twin core and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a PIR just inside front gate that activates a light in the porch approx 3 meters away, so that the light will come on when I exit the front door or go up the path to the front door from the street.

In preparation, I ran a twin core and earth cable in ducting under the concrete footpath which comes back into the house. I am planning to use a Timeguard SLB / SLW 2000G 2300W PIR Light Controller, which of course, requires 3 core and earth cable. Why didn't I check, as I have done this before? I will try and pull out existing cable, but, if this fails, do I have a back up workaround option to use the existing twin core and earth cable.

I have full access to all wiring and circuits in the house, as it is currently being refurbished and I am not too worried if the workaround means I cannot have an over-riding/isolating switch inside the house to control the PIR.

Any help appreciated, other than telling me that I should put the PIR in a different place.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would fit the pir on the Porch.
3m range should be sensible.

And u can use your cable for a nice low level light.

Not sure what u mean by intermediate switches in this context

Not sure what u mean by intermediate switches in this context
I presume the OP is referring to an indoor over-riding/isolating switch for the supply to the external PIR (which, IMO, is always a highly desirable thing to have). I agree that a porch-mounted PIR would seem to be the obvious (and usual) solution.

Kind Regards, John

Any PIR will need neutral, live and a switched live connection, together with a cpc (earth) so 3 core and earth is needed. So you are stuck with having to re-run your cable.

To obtain an over-ride, I suggest you buy a PIR that has a "pulse" over-ride feature, you can then get a permanent light on mode just by flicking the switch (you have installed a switch, havent you?). The PIR in your link does not have this feature.

Sponsored Links
Any PIR will need neutral, live and a switched live connection, together with a cpc (earth) so 3 core and earth is needed. So you are stuck with having to re-run your cable.
...or, as has been suggested, have the PIR/light in/on the porch, which is probably what most people would do.

Fashions being fashions, I'm a little surprised that no-one has suggested a wireless solution :) I'm also (probably more) surprised that no-one has asked, or commented, about the T&E 'buried under the footpath'!

Kind Regards, John

Twin earth buried externally in the ground, would want ripping out anyway. (there you go John and I posted this before reading your post, I promise you)
You require SWA buried at a depth of around 600mm and ideally in a duct, if using your method. But the sensible option would be to install the PIR on the dwelling as they can be activated quite easily over a 3 meter range, the normal range would be 10m-12m. There are plenty of standalone PIR that only require only two core plus earth which also include the override facility and there are any number of lights that incorporate both light and PIR combined, ideally I would opt for the ones that offer pan and tilt to both light head and sensor.

Just as a side issue I suppose if t&e were to be buried in the ground at a level between 750mm and 1350mm that it would not become prone to the frost and very likely to deal with moisture, but then there is the issue that you need to bring it back up that distance to connect.

Thanks for all the input. Just to clarify the 'buried under ground' description The cable is in ducting under 6 inches of concrete of the new laid path. Just for good measure I will try and replace with SWA cable. The reason I do not want to put the PIR in the porch, without going into lots of detail of the layout of the path, is that I do not see how I can position it without it going off every time someone walks up the street. By putting it on the front wall facing back to the door it will only go off when someone is on the path.

The reason I do not want to put the PIR in the porch, without going into lots of detail of the layout of the path, is that I do not see how I can position it without it going off every time someone walks up the street.
Fair enough. However, if you use a PIR with a movable head and point it downwards so that the top of its detection zone hits the path just on the house side of the gate, it probably would do as you wish.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back