Adding External PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My question is very similar to other recent threads and I'm trying to get my head around a simple concept.

I have a new build house with a light on either side of the front door, operated by a single, internal, three gang switch (three gang because the switch controls two other internal lights.) Foolishly, I did not include a PIR beside the front door and would like to add one.

Each light only has a single, twin + earth and the relevant switch has three twin + earth. Presumably, one is the switched live?

The PIR would only be about 3 cms below one of the lights. The PIR I would like is: http://www.timeguard.com/products/l...0-surface-mount-ceiling-pir-presence-detector

I'm quite able to actually wire it up safely, but really need some advice as to how.

Thanks

Rex

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
//media.diynot.com/139000_138858_81878_57892074_thumb.jpg

Not sure how to add an image to the forum but have tried. If it succeeds, the image is the back of the switch; the red circles are the 1Way and COM connections for the external front door lights.

On each of the lights, there is only a single twin and earth.

Hope that is clearer.

Rex [/img]

Not sure what your comment implies, but that is what the sparkie did when the house was wired up. The BCO did not inspect every switch but did have a look behind the CU and was more than happy with how neat it looked.

In terms of me wanting to put an external PIR, what should I be looking at?

It's not easy to fit one pir to control 2 lights in your case.
Unless you can fit a cable between the lights.

Probably not what I wanted to hear but if that is the case, so be it.

There is almost no chance of running a cable between the two lights as we not only have glass side panels on with side of the door, but also a 1.5m high glass panel above the door.

I guess your options are

1. Fit a pir below each light.

2. Change lights to lights with built in pir.

I'm a bit puzzled.

There are several blue wires behind the switch which are likely to be neutrals.

If this is the case then, surely, only a new cable (3C+E) from the switch to the PIR would be required.

You will see from my posting that I am not an electrician!

This three gang switch operates the two external lights (circled) and two internal entrance lights. There are six 2c+e cables coming into the box.

All the browns are as you see in the image (sorry it's so small); the blues are all into a choc-block as are the earth.

It may not be technically correct, but as I said, a qualified sparkie did the job, as he had to sign off the electrics on a new build. It does work as it should; I would just like the addition of an external PIR.

I don't really want to change the lights as they are part of the house 'design.' I have other similar lights on the outside.

Can you run a cable to a suitable position for the PIR or

can you run another cable to one of the light positions and have the PIR there (near the light)?

Yes it's a good point assuming a DIYer is capable of running a cable between the switch and pir.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back