Installing power socket in Partition Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked before, but couldn’t find anything on it.

What I am trying to do is replace a power socket with a new one in a partition wall. The problem I have is that I cant get the mounting box (that sits in the wall) to stay fixed it keeps moving and when I screw the socket it is very loose and you can see the wires.

I am using the plastic mounting box that has two flaps on either side to hold it. My understanding is that you move the flaps right against the wall (from the inside) so that the box doesn’t move, but when the screw goes in the flaps move back and the box becomes loose.

Am I doing this wrong, please someone help as I have spent two days trying to sort this out?

Sponsored Links
Do the fixing screws screw into the flaps? If so, keep turning the screw until the flap is tight against the inside edge of the wall.

they do fit into the flaps, but no matter how much i scre them in its still lose, do i need to use longer screws rather than the ones provided with the power socket

Wedge something between the flap and the back of the box, so it can't move back

Sponsored Links
MTMDLB5.JPG

Dry lining back boxes are designed to tighten on to the plaster board when the faceplate screws are tightened. As already posted as the screws are tightened the flaps are pressed toward the inside on the plasterboard.

If the hole of the plaster board is oversize the flaps will have less plaster board to tighten on to, a smear of grip fill on the inside edge of the back box will make the box firm- Do keep the grip fill away from the flaps or they could become glued and won't move as the f/ plate / switch or socket is tightened on.

Most dry lining boxes will require a 35-50mm screw, since the flaps the the screw tighten on to tend to get pushed to the back of the box. If you have room, as you attempt to get the screw in to the flap you can hold the flap forward with a flat blade screw driver until the screw is located in the flap.

Thanks guys, much appreicated. I will try out your suggestions :LOL:

i know it is probably stating the bl**dy obvious but , and i had this happen to me , check that the brass inserts are in the box wings so that the screws have something to fasten to!!
easy to miss when fitting the boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back