Installing replacement hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my hot water cylinder after the previous one had sprung a leak (over quite some period of time, and now I have a significant damp problem in my airing cupboard walls, but that is another matter).

Anyway, I have removed the old cylinder, purchased a new one and am all ready to install. The only question I have is re the clyinder fittings. The advice I have been given so far is to just use PTFE tape to ensure a seal. I would have thought that also using washers would have been necessary to prevent leaks. What's the opinion on this one?

Also, Are there any clever tricks to get the fittings facing the right way to match up with existing pipework? Rotating the tank only goes so far...

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
The clever trick is altering the existing pipework, not all cylinders have the connections in same place as the old ones. No washers req (providing correct fittings) just ptfe use the gas type it is far better.. some will also advise a smeer of ferox leak sealer as well

If you get the "right" amount of tape, it'll be tight when it's pointing in the right direction. ;)
Steady with the big spanner though, you can wreck the tank easily.

Loctite 55 is what I use now. It lets you back off the fitting if you go too far without causing a leak.

Sponsored Links
gas4you your right M8 Loctite 55 best thing since "sliced bread" About a tenner a go but lasts for ages.

Job Done.

Took me a couple of days longer than I expected due to not having the right bit when I wanted it (I guess that's what you get when you pay for a plumber - he's got all the bits and fittiings with him in the van. me, I have to wait a day and go and buy what I need when the shop opens)

Gas PTFE tape seems to have worked a treat - only one minor dribble when the system got hot and that was fixed easily enough - tighten the fitting !

Now, on to fixing the parquet flooring...

thanks for the input / help

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back