Installing Rockwool Flexi under timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a 1930s Semi and I'm looking to add some insulation on the ground floor which is currently uninsulated.

There are cellars underneath which provide good access to the boards, which are suspended on beams about 12.5cm thick, spaced just over 400cm.

A bit of googling suggests that Rockwool Flexi might be the thing to use, but I've a few questions.

The gaps between beams vary from about 401 to 403 cm. Will the 400 cm width Flexi packs be ok? Or do I need to use the 600cm stuff and cut it down (which seems a huge waste).

I calculate that 120cm should give me a U value of 0.25. Is this enough to meet building regs? We're in Scotland - there seem to be 3 figures quoted for existing buildings. 0.25 is the value for "Conversion of heated buildings". The other lower U values apply to "extension and refurbishment". I'm not clear on the distinction.

Finally, do I need to get some sort of certificate to say the installation meets the regulations?

Sponsored Links
You don't need building regs, use the search function to do a search of the flooring section for 'chicken wire'! Trust me. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back