Installing RSJ/ Lintel to Leave Flush Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Experts :LOL: ,

I apologise in advance to anyone who reads my post as says it's old news :rolleyes: , and thank those who reply in advance.

I am about to embark on an external knock through into a glass roofed medium single story extension to house my kitchen.

Question is around a 4.2m gap... and how I install a RSJ or lintel to leave the current internal ceilingflush.
I am fairly competent as previous installs just left a cross boxed section. However this time I am wanting flat lines.

My best guess is to do all necessary propping and remove 2coarses from external wall slide the RSJ in support and make good.

Can anyone provide alternatives or photo's on this job.

ALso if anyone has completed similar jobs...

Thanks guys
Love the banter on here

Sponsored Links
Hey Experts :LOL: ,

I apologise in advance to anyone who reads my post as says it's old news :rolleyes: , and thank those who reply in advance.

I am about to embark on an external knock through into a glass roofed medium single story extension to house my kitchen.

Question is around a 4.2m gap... and how I install a RSJ or lintel to leave the current internal ceilingflush.
I am fairly competent as previous installs just left a cross boxed section. However this time I am wanting flat lines.

My best guess is to do all necessary propping and remove 2 courses from external wall slide the RSJ in support and make good.

Can anyone provide alternatives or photo's on this job.

ALso if anyone has completed similar jobs...

Thanks guys
Love the banter on here
If I'm understanding correctly, I think you will need to needle through the wall above the position of the new beam and prop the needles with acrows.

Then you will need to remove the masonry to the correct height, cut back the existing floor joists (if bearing onto the wall), lift the beam into position on pad stones each end, and dry pack between the existing masonry and the top of the beam.
You'll need to resupport the existing floor joists on joist hangers attached to the new beam.

Bit of a messy job as you'll have to lift some floorboards and make holes in the ceiling and (bedroom?) wall to prop the wall above.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses.

So the ceiling joists currently sit on inner wall blocks and I'm hoping to remove this wall and notch the joists into the RSJ/ Lintel.

So do I only have the option remove the outer bricks and insert then rebrick the outside.

OR

Can I insert a lintel from below as I have seen Catnics shaped like an upside down "T". So if I prop it all up I can remove the wall and slide it straight in from below?

Thanks

Thanks Noseall,

I have read through that post.

I am trying toio understand the install for an external cavity wall.

Do I have an alternative to cutting out approx 2 coarses of wall bricks length of RSJ and sliding in from outside. Want the RSJ/ Lintel to support floor.

Thanks

You can only do what you can do.

Removing and re-instating the floor joists is probably not an option so you will have to slot in from below or in from the end i guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back