installing shower (different location)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a house i am renovating has a cast iron bath at present and i want to install a shower instead.

the shower will need to be against the opposite wall to where the bath waste is situated.

am i going to have to route the waste pipe under the floorboards or would it be better to raise the tray and run the waste pipes above floor and box then in?

floor and walls are going to be tiled.

currently floorboarded and i am going to cover with 18mm marine ply

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
as you have not mentioned which way the joists run, only you can provide an answer. if the waste runs between joists happy days, if the waste runs across joists and notching /cutting is involved then you may be better off boxing in.
as for the floor ask in tiling,but marine ply is expensive and wont be any stronger than exterior grade plywood (WBP).if you use backaboard, 6mm thick,its just as strong, you dont have to PVA the underside and less likely to create a step at the doorway between rooms

Thanks for the response - I haven't had the boards up yet and hadn't even thought about which way the joists run so I will have a look tonight

I had never even heard of backer board but it looks to be just what I need! This is my first refurb and I'm not a builder so I am learning as I go lol

Sponsored Links
You don't have to lift the boards to make a decision based on which way the joists go; boards go 90 degrees to the joists (otherwise most of the boards would have no support).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back