Installing some mains downlighters. Couple of questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am installing some mains powered downlighters in an upstairs bedroom, thus they are fixed in the loft space surrounded by insulation.
I have clearded a space around the insulation, but just wanted to check if it is safe to just leave them like this, or do i need fire hoods?
I want to board the loft after installation.
Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Most downlight fittings come with a recommended amount of free space around them which must be adhered to so as to allow the heat to dissipate. Clearing the insulation is one thing but you also need to make sure the insulation will not cover them when the downlights are installed and when the boards are placed over it. Also before boarding the loft make sure there are no other cables that will be covered with insulation - these should be clipped clear of the insulation to prevent overheating.

You do not need firehoods unless there is another dwelling above you (a flat for example).

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
Most downlight fittings come with a recommended amount of free space around them which must be adhered to so as to allow the heat to dissipate. Clearing the insulation is one thing but you also need to make sure the insulation will not cover them when the downlights are installed and when the boards are placed over it. Also before boarding the loft make sure there are no other cables that will be covered with insulation - these should be clipped clear of the insulation to prevent overheating.

You do not need firehoods unless there is another dwelling above you (a flat for example).

Davy

I will make sure the recomended gap is kept.
Cheers Davy :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back