Insulation when installing downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just signed up to the forum - can anyone help??

I am going to install downlighters in my bedroom which has an insulated loft space above. I understand that there has to be certain free space around the lights so to avoid fire hazards, however can anyone suggest a reasonably priced solution to protecting the insulation?? Or have any advice to the amount of space needed - are there certain regulations for this?

Any help much appreciated,

thanks

Peter :D

Sponsored Links
Hello, as you're new to the forum I should advise that "downlighter" is a dirty word to many members here - so be prepared ;)

You'll need to observe the spacing recommendation of the manufacturer. Fire hoods are not specifically designed to give this space, they are just there to restrict the spread of fire. Ideally you want as much space as you can.

There are special metal boxes available for this purpose, but you could make your own with plasterboard, or some people have used plant-pots. Whatever you do you really want to be able to lay insulation on top.

no insulation on top.. it stops the escape of heat..

and that's CERAMIC plant pots, not plastic ones obviously..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back