recessed downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on getting some recessed downlights in my bathroom, which is on the 1st floor of my house. My question is: is it ok to install these even though the loft space (directly above the bathroom) has insulation and is very very dusty, meaning the back of the downlights will be "covered" and will not have any breathing space. I'm just a bit worried about them getting very hot and being a fire hazard ?

Many thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
All electrical work in a bathroom (incl lighting) is notifiable. See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3837&start=0

If you are worried about this, get someone in who knows what they are doing and has £2,000,000 Public Liability Insurance. At least then you'll get your house rebuilt if the roof catches fire.

TTC

And repeat after me "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", "I hate downlights", .......................................... :evil:

Hi,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but a while ago I considered exactly the same issue. I decided to make a lowered ceiling - just to be on the safe side, as I was also concerned about the heat issue. It was actually very easy to do and looks great.

I made 4 beams running across the roof - screwed through the existing ceiling, up into the joists in the loft. Then I fixed wooden cladding across them, holding it in place with some adhesive and panel pins. I then stained it in antique pine, which looks great with the brass downlighters.

I don't have a huge bathroom (about 2.5m x 2m), but to give you an idea of time - it took me 4 hours to complete the ceiling (without staining)

If you do decide to do something like this, remember to make notches or holes through the beams to take the wiring - and get the wires into place before you fix the cladding.

Good luck
:p

I do hope your fittings are F marked... IE suitable for mounting in/on a combustible surface. If not, a fire hazard is present.

Sponsored Links
Gary_M said:
I then stained it in antique pine, which looks great with the brass downlighters.

Jeez, not concerned that you're following a fad copied by every chav in the land you've decided to help it date even more quickly by introducing it into a retro seventies decor, gawd bless yer!

The sooner halogen downlights are criminalised by the green brigade the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back