Advice please for installing downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone help with my query...

I've just had my daughters bedroom ceiling skimmed after removing the ceiling rose and replacing with a 20 amp 4 terminal junction box to continue with the loop-in system in the loft.

I'd now like to install some 50W mains downlighters, which I bought some time ago and I believe these would now require fire hoods, is this true?....

The instructions say "Under no circumstances must these fittings be covered by insulation, leaving at least 100mm space around the fitting. Space and access is not a problem as I live in a bungalow. However, the loft insulation is a concern. I think rather than going to the extent of fitting these, I would probably purchase "flameguard Downlighters" as seen here:

http://www.buy-electrical.co.uk/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d18.html

Having not fit them before, although that shouldn't really be a problem following some posts here and i'm pretty confident with wiring. I would like some advice to how many I would need (50W mains) for a 3 metre square bedroom? What distance should they be from the walls?
Also, my lighting loop is on 1mm cable, should i continue with the same for the downlighters?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
you dont need any fire rating for the downlights. see page for of "for reference" theres a post there made by myself about fire hoods etc.

Build a little wooden box around each light with a couple of holes in the top. Just to keep insulation at bay.

fire hoods and fire rated lamps are only ness. when you have a fire rated ceiling - which i doubt very much.

Thanks for your reply crafty1289.

Little boxes it will be then, I do believe I have some spare plasterboard, the pink sort which should fit the bill.

As to the other part of my query....I'm not sure whether to fit 4 or 6 downlighters for the 3 metre square bedroom.? Should 4 be suffice crafty?

Thanks

do you mean
3m x 3m or
3m² (approx 1.5m x 2m)
?

if 3m x 3m, 4-5 will suffice

if 3m², 2-3 would suffice, but thats a VERY small room!!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back