Installing TV wall sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello one and all

Firstly i am new to these forums so ill start with a big hello to everyone on here. No doubt you will see me quite often asking question after question hehehe.

Anyway, on to the subject at hand...

I am installing TV wall sockets into each bedroom and the living room in my house. It previously only had a coax straight into the living room and main bedroom. As it was setup before I had a good signal in the living room and main bedroom (it had a booster in the living room with a straight coax going out, through the loft and into the main bedroom, no sockets). I have now moved the booster into the loft, wired the antenna straight into the booster and run a coax to the main bedroom into a wall socket. Now I can get very few digital channels in the main bedroom and those I can get are only poor signal quality.

I am assuming this is because of signal loss in the wall socket as that is the only difference, the booster is actually a lot closer to that room now (in cable length) !! I am only using fairly cheap sockets that I bought from Homebase, this may be a problem.

Can anyone give me advise if there are better sockets to use or if there is better coax I can get etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Check all your terminations and make sure the co-ax sheath is totally seperated as much as possible from the centre core terminals. Any touching here will affect signal drastically.

The signal could also be too strong (it's been known) - in which case use an in-line attenuator on the bedroom TV.

Also, check the radius of bends in the cable - coax does not like sharp bends, as it compresses the dielectric and changes the RF transmission properties.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, had a look through the connections etc this morning and couldnt see anything obvious.

Then thought, just to cover all the bases I put a slightly different type of wall socket in the bedroom and bingo, all works fine. It was either a dodgy wall socket or that particular type just wasnt up to it.

With the new socket ive got an almost perfect picture (analogue and digital) without the booster even turned on !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back