Installing underfloor heating throughout...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,
as part of a major refurbishment of my dad's 90 m2 semi-detached bungalow I am considering ripping out the existing suspended wooden floors throughout (some of which will have needed re-packing anyway), adding insulation, UFH pipework, and screed. It seems simple enough as the bungalow was built using a 'raft' system on a level site, so there is an equal void of around 400 mm below all floors. I have listed below the works that I have thought necessary, and ask for suggestions for those which may add significant costs and which I have omitted.

1. Clear the building completely - storage and skip costs
2. Remove existing masonry 'stud' walls; those built directly on the wooden floor - skip or grab lorry
3. Remove suspended flooring, joists, and dwarf walls; clear site.
4. Re-route and protect all services (gas, water, wiring)
5. Add 300mm of insulation over damp-proof membrane (much more than 'necessary' but will save energy in the long run)
6. Lay UFH pipework.
7. Add 65mm of screed.
8. Re-build internal walls as required. Repair ceilings.
9. Renew kitchen and bathroom.
10 Renew internal doors (7 off).

Anything else?

As an aside, the 30m long driveway is in an awful state, and will need re-surfacing eventually. Assuming that both the gas supply pipework and the electrical service cable will be replaced by their suppliers within the next 10 years, how can I reasonably act now to prevent the drive having to be ripped-up again? Cable conduit? Gas pipe conduit?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back