Installing washing machine in closet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope to get some help (and I hope encouragement) with a somewhat unconventional washing machine installation in a closet.

I live on the top floor in a 3-story old brownstone with a tiny kitchen and bathroom with no space for a washing machine in either one. The only place I found that I could possibly fit a washing machine is the closet next to the bathroom. Thinking of a compact washer/dryer combo that turns heat into condensation (so I don't need to worry about air circulation, but could always open up a hole to the air shaft for this as well).

Now the challenge is really the installation or more specifically getting water in and out. The link below is an image of my floor plan.

Basically I was thinking that I could cut a hole in the back wall of the closet leading out into an air shaft and then draw both water in and drainage out through the air shaft and into the back wall of the bathroom, where the plumbing for the bathroom is.

The bathroom is tiled and I would have to break tiles to get into the wall to draw pipes and hook the stuff up, but I have extra tiles so this should not be a problem to patch up in the end.

My questions are:
1. Is this even a feasible idea? Not sure about any U.S. laws against this.
2. Not sure how the drainage is hooked up in the wall, might have to go all the way to the drainage for the sink as the bathtub drain is probably not accessible with the built in tub on top of it.
3. Going out in the air shaft, can I have the drainage slope upwards until where I need a bend in the pipe (going into the back wall of the bathroom) where I would have it slope downwards again? How high do I need to go in general to not get back flush into the machine.
4. Do I need to waterproof the closet in any way, a little afraid that any leak would go through the floor to my neighbor (and landlord) below. Yes, I did ask them about this, they trust me to find a responsible solution...
5. Any other things I might not have considered making this a bad idea...

I am thinking to possibly having someone professional helping me out with this, but want to just confirm this idea first.

Thanks for any advise and tips.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
hiya, bit of a dilemma I see. Though I dont have a complete solution for you but if I get your idea right, running water waste and supply through the air shaft, please make some enquiries for the healtha dn safety of all residents re legionella- a water borne air carried bacteria. Wouldn't want you to cause ill health to self or other neighbours- or worst, be liable for it and fined etc...

Sorry to put a dampner on it.

Anyway...I thought you would need to go under the floor of the closet under the bath and adapt the waste and tap into the cold supply there. Damproofing the floor boards or lowering a tray here(under the floor boards under the machine) to nillify a spillage.

Good luck with this one my friend.

Alternatively get friendly with the ground floor resident that might have a washer already !!!

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
hi paul,
the only way i can see that is easy, would be to get water from the vanity unit (hand baisen) drainage at same point, run your waste and hot & cold to the right of the vanity then along the base of the bath through the wall then following to the area you want. now depending on your flooring which i believe is tile you can build a small step up to your bath this step up will cover the exposed pipes. the step up can be bad of treated timber covered with fibro sheeting then tiled as well obviously fastened to floor.
doing anything to your airwell could be against fire safety and building regs

DonnaLou, its very nice and helpful of you to find those, but they are no use to the OP because you and I are in the UK (The info you linked to is also UK based) The OP is in America, so, not only will they not work, they are being sold on a UK website.(he would have to import them, then find out they dont work)

I also hope i am wrong on the following: Some Americans realise after posting this is a UK based website, and so never come back. others just never post again. Its not that we dont want to help American's its that we can't

Thanks for all the replies, even though they sort of confirmed my fears that this might be complicated. I think some of these options might be viable, the only thing I'm not sure about is how hard it would be to run the pipes through the walls.

I plan to actually have a professional come and take a look and also give me a quote on the job, might be a good first step to see what their opinion is and also based on their quote if it's worth doing it myself or at all.

P.S. Breezer, I was not discouraged by the UK links, I'm sure I could find equivalent models here in US and appreciated the suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies, even though they sort of confirmed my fears that this might be complicated. I think some of these options might be viable, the only thing I'm not sure about is how hard it would be to run the pipes through the walls.

I plan to actually have a professional come and take a look and also give me a quote on the job, might be a good first step to see what their opinion is and also based on their quote if it's worth doing it myself or at all.

P.S. Breezer, I was not discouraged by the UK links, I'm sure I could find equivalent models here in US and appreciated the suggestions.

Would appear that the water and waste are easily connected thru the wall to supply under the faucet end of the tub.

Hi All,

Breezer , thanks for your polite advice , Had Windup not already of responded, I would of added similar myself...that maybe there were US versions but perhaps I should of said....no worries.

Hey Paul Is your kitchen anywhere near the proposed installation ? perhaps to go that way would be a better idea....maybe you need to post a floor plan of your apartment for further ideas and hopefully expert solutions....?

best regards xD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back