Installing water pump in well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a well in my garden. Its covered by a manhole cover. Id like to use it for watering the garden with. The well is about 15 feet deep and the water level about 4 feet.

So I think what I need is an external tap; water pump; and a pipe connecting both. Has anyone any experience of doing this? What pump do I need? How do you do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is more to it than what you`ve outlined, you will need valves and electric control box so all in all not a regular diy job, the pumps in the link ^ will produce some serious pressure.

You will also have to contact the local Water Board, you can only remove a limited amount of water .

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. Obviously more to it than I thought. (which is usually the case!). As a cost indication: is this a few hundred quid job, or is it a couple of thousand job? (in which case I wont persue it).

I have one like this - it has a 6m max head.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tt...0v/65041#product_additional_details_container

I live off mains sewage, so have a 2 cu m collector tank, beefy duty pump with a macerator and float switches.

25 years on, of course I've had failures, so bought the plug-in pump as a backup. Must be 10 years old. I keep it in its own plastic rubbish bin out of the way; together with it's own piping etc. In your sitch, I'd rig some piping to a collector butt, and use that for watering. With a 15' drop, I'd store the pump in the well, but obvs out of the water. Lid off, lower pump, plug in, fill up, repeat.

CG

Just noticed depth of water so the multistage pumps somebody linked earlier wont work

OK. Ive been doing some research and I dont want to over-engineer a solution. All I need is to use the well water for watering the garden a few months in the year.

An easier/cheaper solution would be something like https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...MIso7hk_DH4wIVAbTtCh1GCQkCEAQYAiABEgL-lvD_BwE ? Whatever solution I choose, am I right in thinking Ill need a power source (I dont know if there are any battery-powered pumps. If every pump needs mains power then Ill need to buy an extension lead too).

I don’t think a 12v pump will give you the power you need to overcome the lift you require at a decent flow rate. The one in your link looks fine for your needs with an 11m lift and connection onto a hose of up to 50m in length. Alternatively you could use a bucket on a piece of rope...............

Haha. I AM currently using a bucket on a piece of rope! :)

Ive just found this which looks more promising: Hozelock Flowmax 7500

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back