Underground soil connections/ Moving soil pipe location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I tee into a gully pipe which is connected to the manhole or do I need to break in to the manhole separately? It's the old brick construction type about 4 feet deep?

Sponsored Links
Hope you can make this out, to the left is the wall of the chamber and amongst the mud is the terracotta gully pipe that you can just about see

Attachments

• 20200726_185909.jpg
    20200726_185909.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 248
Your call, its an equal amount of work, possibly easier to go through the brickwork?
How far away is the house gulley - does the gulley take waste water and rainwater?

Sponsored Links
Check with Building Control what they'll allow first of all, but that also depends on the existing gulley connection to the manhole. Soil connections need to be made to allow smooth flow of solids through the chamber and avoid build ups of material on benching, walls etc.

If the connection looks ok, then I'd say you have 2 options. Firstly, break into the clay pipe and fit a 450mm plastic chamber at that point, or you may be able to break in using a junction, provided you fit an access point on your stack immediately above ground level. If it's coming in too high, wrong angle or any other problem, then you may not have any option other than to break into the manhole with a new connection, suitably placed to avoid any issues.

You are aware you need a long radius bend at the foot of the stack I assume.

Thanks. The gully has rainwater and washing machine going into it at the moment and continues through the wall and benching in the manhole. I would use a swept tee of connecting into the pipe. The whole breaking in and chiselling out the benching seems a bit daunting if I'm honest. I've tried to find the answer in the regs but can find no mention of connecting to the gully waste as it tends to refer to the modern multi connection type manhole you refer to.
I'm ok with the regs and construction up to that point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back