Installing Wood Floor - Leveling SubFloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about a 1/4 to 1/2 sag in my floor. I was thinking of building it up with 1/8 ply and then installing the wood floor over it. I would gradually stagged the 1/8 as to not have any major "bump" under the wood.

Do you think this will work?

Sponsored Links
yes thats the way to do it. All tho you will have to lay a wooden flooring compound over the top to get rid of edges and to create a gentle slope between boards. Or you could lay a thick ply 3/4inch or so over the whole lot, but will raise floor height. Or you could jack and brace the joists level and install flooring direct to joists or to new plywood installed over the joists depending on which method you go along with.

I am thinking that the "right" way to do it is to cut out the sub floor in the area that has the issue, sister in new floor joist's (I think they are installed incorrect and the crown is down) and then re-lay the sub floor vs. trying to "patch" it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back