insulate timber build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my bungalow is timber frame clad in render spa .internal plaster board on fiber board, iwant to increase thermal on walls ,idont know weather to use thermal lining paper or insulate paint, its quit a small home but does lose heat fast im not sure what product to use .

Sponsored Links
If you think that applying paint or paper to a wall will do anything other than decorate then you are either clueless or taking the pee.

Typically you would expect to have to fit celotex or similar (P.I.R. foam) to the wall cavity as well as another layer across the studs. This usually amounts to a combined thickness of 130mm.

Also, alleviating any drafts around openings, fitting roof void insulation and closing off cavities all helps.

Finally, make sure you fit vapour control membrane where applicable and any (P.I.R.) insulation you do fit is fitted snug, is well sealed with foil tape or mastic and is preferably foil coated.

If you think that applying paint or paper to a wall will do anything other than decorate then you are either clueless or taking the pee.

Typically you would expect to have to fit celotex or similar (P.I.R. foam) to the wall cavity as well as another layer across the studs. This usually amounts to a combined thickness of 130mm.

Also, alleviating any drafts around openings, fitting roof void insulation and closing off cavities all helps.

Finally, make sure you fit vapour control membrane where applicable and any (P.I.R.) insulation you do fit is fitted snug, is well sealed with foil tape or mastic and is preferably foil coated.
i already have vapour control and plaster board in place im just looking for a product to improve thermal performance to surface, there are paints that say they insulate, and thermal wallpaper i just dont know what is best nor will the energy saving trust give me any info other than they say i cant have cavity insulation in timber build, i bdo know i have blanket insulation between my 100mm stud wall, ido not want to take boards of as there is nothing wrong with boards i have got loft insulation ,i dont know weather to line internal walls with 25mm jablite polysteren and batern and board or maybe sempatap which seems to be most expensive wall lining insulation, i just dont want to find my self with a posible product that may cause condensation, as iv had this problam with my concreat screed floor.

If you already have a vapour barrier you shouldn't be insulating over the top of it, as the vapour check must always be on the warm side of the insulation.

Sponsored Links
i have a friend who used 'thermilate' insulating paint additive on a pretty cold room in his house. He swears that it made a big difference.

It interested me as i thought it must be rubbish and i looked into it a bit. Basically the manufacturer has never had the product independantly tested only having testing done by a company that they instructed and paid.

They also claim that the paint is used on x percentage of government buildings when in fact it is a similar but different product of theirs which is used. This widely selling product is not the insulating additive but is an anti-condensation paint which is an obvious choice for large temporarily heated spaces like office blocks etc.

I remain completely unconvinced by the insulating additive because if i had a magic product like that the first thing i would do i give it to the BRE and get it accredited and then just sit back and watch the millions roll in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back