Insulated board and skirtings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am prepping some rooms for plastering. In the past I have fixed a 20mm timber around at floor level to fasten the skirting boards to after the plasterers have finished. The plasterer then plasterboards down to the timber and skims up to level with it. Simples.

This time, for some walls, I am using insulated plasterboard, (62.5mm).

Base boarding out to approximately 70mm to accommodate that feels excessive.

How have others approached this problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a foam adhesive or grab adhesive to stick the skirts on - you don't need any fixings

If the skirts are wood, as opposed to mdf, I found I had to screw them one with long screws, through the insulation into the wall, as the spring in the wood, kept springing the skirt off when glued with gripfill.

as the spring in the wood, kept springing the skirt off when glued with gripfill.

That's a comment on carp timber skirts rather than a problem with adhesive. I prefer geocell "the works" rather than stuff like pink grip, and foam like instastik for skirts with large gaps behind. However, whatever adhesive you use, if the skirts are all twisted to begin with, yes you're going to struggle.

This is one of the reasons I have used MDF more most recently - red/white wood is not that great from any merchant. Even if you choose the straightest shakeless pieces, it still tends to shrink a bit in centrally heated houses

Sponsored Links
The skirtings are going to be wood. They are not being painted, they are being waxed and polished throughout the house. Mdf obviously won't work for that.

Mdf obviously won't work for that.

So choose good timber, and use adhesives and you won't have any fixing heads to worry about :D - I presume something like oak then, and not knotty whitewood?

So choose good timber, and use adhesives and you won't have any fixing heads to worry about :D

Good advice, thanks.

I presume something like oak then, and not knotty whitewood?
Nope. Pine. Don't worry too much though, I've done several other rooms with it and it looks great! (y)(y)

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back