Insulating a dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope I've posted this in the right place, I thought this question was probably closely related to loft conversions.

We have a large dormer (approx 12m long) along the front of our house (its chalet style) which was built in the early 70's by previous owners. There is hardly any insulation in the dormer walls or flat roof and we currently loose a lot of heat in winter and its gets stupidly hot in the summer. Anyway a project for this year is to get the insulation done properly :).

The bedrooms are all large so its not a massive problem to loose ceiling height or increase wall thickness in doing this.

A builder we spoke to has suggested Bubble-foil insulation or Multi-foil. Has anyone used this before? Any good / bad thoughts on it?

Or can anyone recommend any other type of insulation we should consider?

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Avoid multi foil, and definitely avoid bubble wrap.

A PIR board (ie Celotex/Kingspan/Xtratherm) will be the most efficient for any given thickness.

Otherwise use quilt between the rafters and then if you like an insulated plasterboard (or PIR board) across the whole lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back