Insulating a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a shed, just a standard 6x8 pre-made thing but we want to try and stop the drill etc from getting condensation on them over the winter.

Is a breathable membrane stuck around the inside going to be enough to stop this from happening?

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

We have a shed, just a standard 6x8 pre-made thing but we want to try and stop the drill etc from getting condensation on them over the winter.

Is a breathable membrane stuck around the inside going to be enough to stop this from happening?

Does it have a concrete floor with no dpm, constantly wicking up moisture from the ground?

Sponsored Links
Does it have a concrete floor with no dpm, constantly wicking up moisture from the ground?

No it's just sat on a wooden base on the grass, we will insulate the floor too if it will have an effect

The easiest way is probably to stick insulation boards to the walls, roof and door, and maybe one of the floor too with chipboard over the top, and then add a good old British tube heater as Motman suggested. Although, maybe cheaper to move the tools into the loft for winter? Harder for thieves to nick too! I keep most of my tools in the house these days, including sledge hammer and breaking bars.

on the grass,

damp will be coming up from below. as well as encouraging the wood to rot, the water vapour will enter the shed.

If you can lift it and rest the bearers on, say, paving slabs with a ventilated gap, this will help.

oooh, just on grass? In that case I'd suggest removing the grass, compacting soil a bit and put some weed barrier down, and use a plastic shed base.
I had this for my previous house, no condensation issues in that shed.

Great stuff thanks guys, sounds easier to bring everything in :)

When I say on the grass it does have stakes at each corner and raised slightly on blocks to make the shed level. However I was hoping just using the membrane would do the trick but if it won't then I should just keep anything I don't want to bin in the house.

yep, that's the easiest and cheapest way!
Although, if the shed is currently in good condition, it would make sense to keep it dry. Shed's aren't cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back