Insulating a unlined pitched roof above a bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently bought an old house with bay windows on the front.

I'm getting the room plastered and as the ceiling above the bays are in poor condition, taking the plasterboard down. Above them is just fresh air, battens and the original roof tiles - no lining, no ventilation to the exterior.

I want to insulate them so wondered in layman's terms if someone could spell out exactly what I need to do as I'm getting confused about the amount of ventilation I need and the types of membranes and vapour layers, types of insulation, how to attach it etc.

I thought I could just add a breathable membrane underneath the tiles, attached it to the battens then stuff some kind of insulation between the joists or hold in place with wooden battens?

Then put new plaster board back and job done?

thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Is there room for quilt type insulation whilst maintaining some kind of eaves ventilation?

If not it may be wiser to use rigid foam board insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back