Insulation, downlights, pitched roof query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Thanks for your time.

Its more a is this okay rather will this be okay as its complete now.The peace of mind would be nice though

Hear me out please. Mono pitched roof, cross battened, breathable membrane and 8" rafters. I want downlights. Building control stated no holes in insulation and recommended 4" insulation with 1" overboarding. They went away and myself and the builder agreed the following solution to allow us to fit downlights but not compromise insulation.

Please see pictures. We have left a 1.5" gap between the breathable membrane and the 4" insulation, we then have a 2.5" gap to the bottom of the rafters and then the 1" overboarded insulation which is foil taped and are joined to the Velux vapour barrier to form a complete vapour barrier. I'm aware drilling the holes for the downlights will compromise this somewhat.

My concern is the 2.5" gap and moist air getting into this space. The moist air will hit warm air anyways as its in essence sandwiched between insulation. From here if it gets past the 4" insulation there is a 1.5" void ventilated by eaves vents and the breathable membrane which above is cross battended so has full ventilation up the cross battens.

Im telling myself this isnt going to be a problem. Am I correct?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• thumbnail_WP_20161113_15_24_19_Pro.jpg
    thumbnail_WP_20161113_15_24_19_Pro.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 190
  • thumbnail_WP_20161113_10_58_53_Pro.jpg
    thumbnail_WP_20161113_10_58_53_Pro.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back