Insulating an existing pitched roof - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I wonder if anyone can offer me advice on the easiest way to install insulation into the space between my outer roof and the pitched ceiling in my upstairs rooms.

The house is a 1930's cottage bungalow and as such the upstairs rooms are dormer like with pitched ceilings. There is no insulation installed on the pitched parts of the ceiling.

I've looked down the voids and see that in many of them there are wooden cross members, pipes, a multitude of nails from the tile battons etc which I imagine would make pushing glass wool or insulating boards down them very difficult.

I looked at Micafil polystyrene type balls to maybe pour these down but judging the coverage to cost ratio i would be shelling out a fortune.

Is there an easy to install inexpensive method of solving my problem or am I dreaming here?

Any advice recieved with thanks!
[/b]

Sponsored Links
There is no easy way. to do it properly you either strip the roof or pull the ceilings. dont jam the voids with glass wool, you might be able to slip lengths of foil board down the voids but you'll never get to reg spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back