Insulating an external wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930 semi, I belive it has a cavity wall. It is very cold to the touch in this weather and is therefore acting like a huge ice block in the hall area.

Can I use Insulated plasterboard, dot and dabbed to insulate the wall? I have tried reading up but can only find its use on single skin walls.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you see the brickwork from outside? if you can then you'll be able to tell if it is a solid wall or a cavity fairly easily.

A solid wall will have rows of bricks with every other brick turned sideways across the depth of the wall to tie both layers together. A cavity wall wont have this

Plus if you can measure it a solid wall will be 9inches thick and a cavity around 12inches.

If it has a cavity then get the cavity insulated. If solid then you have the choice to internally insulate and lose space but it's cheaper than external insulation which is probably 3x more expensive

If its a cavity wall get cavity insulation, if not simply dot and dab insulation backed plasterboard onto the inside of the external wall. I did this using 50mm backed plasterboard to a whole 1880's house a few years back, worked a treat.

If you don't fancy trying to get dot and dab boards plumb an alternative might be to consider a Gyplyner metal framing system with insulated plasterboards (or even insulation batting and normal PB).

Sponsored Links
If you have a 1930's semi, then I suspect the hall is quite narrow already, and you may not want to reduce it by 50mm or so, especially if this is around the stairs.

BTW, all walls are cold to the touch even internal ones and even in summer. Insulation won't magically make the hall warmer, and you will see little gain for a lot of disruption because halls are always cooler.

Have you checked the sizing of any radiator to see if it is adequate?

I think my cavity walls are not insulated at all especially one wall.

I am going to do a wee bit or work by installing a window in one of the walls so, if i got cavity walls insulated would the cutting out of wall for window effect the insulation then?

Approx., how much to insulate a 5 bed bungalow?

If you have a 1930's semi, then I suspect the hall is quite narrow already, and you may not want to reduce it by 50mm or so, especially if this is around the stairs.

BTW, all walls are cold to the touch even internal ones and even in summer. Insulation won't magically make the hall warmer, and you will see little gain for a lot of disruption because halls are always cooler.

Have you checked the sizing of any radiator to see if it is adequate?

Thanks for the advice, I didn't want to loose the width on the stairs as you have pointed out. Our hall is actually quite big. I've been insulating the loft today. I think that might be the main cause of my issues. I had new windows fitted at Christmas there appears to be a draft from under the stairs which I will investigate. I'm conscious that sealing the house up completely can cause other issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back