Insulating external bathroom walls - Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be fully tiling the walls in our bathroom and wondered what would be tried and trusted method to giving the external walls extra insulation.

Our house is cavity walled with insulation in the cavity, but based on our old house (same construction) the bathroom wall was always cold, so any way to reduce this extreme would be great.

I'm looking for the best insulation properties as well as something I can tile straight on to ideally. Presumably whatever 'boards' I use will be dot and dabbed and then mechanically fixed also?

Sponsored Links
The easiest would be 50mm insulated plasterboard. 25mm if space is tight.

By virtue of it being a bathroom - which will be (or should be) vented via an extract fan, you won't need to over insulate it, just do enough to take the chill away.

Does the ceiling insulation need toping up?

You should skim the boards, don't tile on to bare boards - you'll regret it when it comes to retiling.

Plasterboard is frowned upon by many for use in bathrooms at all as, despite best possible practice in tiling and sealing, it can end up turning to wet sludge and collapsing in a heap. It's just paper and gypsum, water resistant grade is not waterproof and neither is grout - it may be OK for a ceilling, but not for a shower.

Tileboard (Tile Backer Board) is best, it's very rigid and is made of plastic foam so is waterproof and has insulating properties. It may be that a U-value isn't stated but it undoubtedly insulates, more if thicker.

Lots available from all merchants, tile shops, DIY sheds etc. Here's one example for reference...

If space is tight, you can hack off the old plaster. This will give you extra space, fir example if the bath is tight to the wall and can't be inched out.

I thought I saw Hardie Backerboard with a bonded foam layer?

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard is frowned upon by many for use in bathrooms at all as, despite best possible practice in tiling and sealing, it can end up turning to wet sludge and collapsing in a heap
Really? Every bit of plasterboard in a bathroom is at risk of getting soaked?

Are you are rep for Hardiebacker, or just a victim of brochure marketing hype?

It's becoming standard practice to avoid plasterboard in bathrooms. Well, probably not for newbuilds but definitely for anyone who cares about its long term prospects.

If you want to throw a bathroom together for as little as possible and don't care about the long term then plasterboard is perfect!

You could get away with it anywhere away from a shower. But just tileboard the lot, it's foam-cored so will definitely insulate a lot better than plasterboard.

There are loads of brands, there's no sneaky conspiracy, it's just better.

I've used decent Mapei "water resistant" cement-based (powder mixed) grout in our shower, it's light grey.

It goes dark grey after a shower, for several hours afterwards until it dries again. It's definitely not waterproof, if there was plasterboard below it would get wet every time.

I just dot and dabbed, with mechanical fixings, 40mm thick XPS tile board round pretty much all of my bathroom. Marmox or similar

It's made it very cosy!

100% water proof, tile straight onto it and dead easy to put up, took me less than a day, including some awkward cuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back