Insulating an old victorian Dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating our top bedroom and half the room is dormer style. I've no idea how to insulate this, could use some advice. The roof felt appears to be the old bitumen type. I'd obviously like the room to retain heat better but just as importantly, I want to reduce noise as we're on a main road. Its never been insulated before so no signs of damp/condensation and I'd like to keep it that way. Currently I think air can flow in under the eaves between rafters.

Do I need to keep a gap between the felt and insulation? Do I insulate between the pitched rafters up to the flat ceiling level and stop there or keep going? I guess it should be ok to insulate the flat ceiling part between the joists with loft roll above that. Do I use rigid type or Rockwool or a mix?

The rafters are only 75mm deep. I was thinking metal furring channels fixed across the rafters might be useful to give me another 25mm depth. Do I insulate between the metal channels? I thought 2 layers of plasterboard screwed to that would help down. Should one of the plasterboards be the insulated type with a vapour barrier? Thanks in advance all

IMG_5584.JPG
IMG_5585.JPG
IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5590.JPG
IMG_5593.JPG
keep the noise

Sponsored Links
Wow! that looks like a great room when its finished
Tricky to insulate thou. insulated plasterboard would be the easiest after fitting some kingspan/celotex between the studwork/rafters leaving at least an inch gap for ventilation.
I would consider putting an inch baton on top of all the studs and rafters to increase the depth.

50mm between 75mm across then foil back boards using long screws. Foil tape and foam joints/gaps.

Thanks for the replies gents, that's given me something to chew on. Do I need vapour barriers if I'm using Celotex? Best strategy for downlights? Build out a void space?

Sponsored Links
No need to cut big holes in your insulation anymore with the new 22mm deep led downlighters

Brilliant gents thanks for that. I'm going to abandon downlights tbh and go with ceiling mounted lights. Great looking job noseall; I was wondering how to run the lighting power cables through the insulation - is that just a wooden block?

Posting some updates to this (very slow) build.

Attachments

• IMG_7769.jpg
    IMG_7769.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_7604.jpg
    IMG_7604.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_7016.JPG
    IMG_7016.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_7013.JPG
    IMG_7013.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_6953.JPG
    IMG_6953.JPG
    330.3 KB · Views: 267

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back