insulating around soil vent pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have what I presume to be a soil vent pipe in the corner of my kitchen ('bout 40mm diameter, metal (got a nice ring to it!), runs from under my floor up through my ceiling, the flat above and vents outside the tiling on the roof). I'm just been putting new plasterboard up on the ceiling complete with insulation. The cavity that the soil vent pipe runs in is quite big - about 12 cm depth by 15cm wide. My question is can I insulate this? I can't see why not, as the odours etc presumably run through the pipe and not outside it, otherwise it wouldn't be doing it's job, however I've no idea what regs etc say. I'd quite like to stuff insulation in there as I could be losing a fair bit of heat through a cavity that size.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
40mm dia :confused: that small it might be a gas pipe in metal - and there are regs about boxings being vented :!: A picture would help - and a check of measurements and a post in Plumbing for the Gas boys to check out :idea:

Can guarantee it's not a gas pipe as the whole estate is not connected to gas (all on economy 7 etc). The building is purpose built flats, I'm on the ground floor, the pipe vents to outside (via sticking through the tiled roof). I'm pretty sure it's a vent pipe of some sort as with no gas pipes in the building can't think what else it could be.

The grey thing at the bottom I can only assume is for access of some sort.[/img]. Ignore the pipes running across the pic - that's just my kitchen plumbing.

Good pic. Looks like a waste water stack = not soil . so filling the boxing is a fine idea- no problems

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks, What's one of those then? Now I can stuff in lots of insulation so I don't lose heat to my neighbour.

It is completely the opposite side of the house to the toilet, so makes sense it's not a soil vent pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back