Internal vent pipe insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't make my mind up which section fitted best.

Anyway, we have a late 70s house which has an internal vent pipe for the main bathroom.

It runs up in the corner of the bathroom (which is tiled in) and goes through the corner of the loft and it through the tiles. It also goes down below the bathroom into the hallway below where it must connect to the main drains underground.

My issue is that it seems to feel very cold where it is boxed in. We don't really notice in the bathroom but in the hallway it feels very cold. It does have a UPVC front door next to it but there doesn't seem to be any drafts from that. We are just decorating the hallway now. I can't really put anything in the outside of the boxing in as the depth can't be increased as the door would hit it (so insulated plaster board etc is it of the question)

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions for a remedy? The only thing I could think was blowing in insulation through a few holes like they do for cavities but finding someone to do that might be fun. Would that cause any other issues?

We currently don't have cavity wall insulation and have been advised against it as we are exposed to the one side and neighbours who have had the cavity wall insulation now have damp issues from that side. But that is another topic.

Sponsored Links
sotal, good evening.

Is there any access to he open top end of the pipe box in the loft space?

If so you may consider pouring Polystyrene beads into the opening? if done as a fast trickle, the beads will fill all available space around the pipe.

Now and again, tap the pipe box below, a shoot to let you access the open end of the pipe box from a distance may work?

The beads are readily available in craft / painting outlets/ on-line stores Etc.

Ken.

Take some board off and insulate around the pipe.

There may also be a hole around the pipe at ground and first floor level which should be sealed

Sponsored Links
I'll have a look up in the loft however the roof gets very low where it is and it is behind the water tank so not the easiest thing to see.

I don't really fancy pulling the plasterboard off but it might well be the best solution in the end. Especially if it isn't sealed at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back