Insulating behind wood panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, im thinking of wood panelling my living room wall with reclaimed wood, should i insulate behind it beforehand preferably with the thinnest insulation, will this cause any condense/damp issues? Tia

Sponsored Links
My personal opinion is that the work does not fall under the scope of Part L (thermal insulation) of the Building Regulations so you don't need to insulate, however your local authority may take a different interpretation. The work requires Building Reg permission in any case as the timber cladding will need to comply with Regulation B2 this relates to surface spread of flame and the timber will require treatment with an intumescent coating in order to satisfy this requirement. A small area of untreated timber is allowed equivalent to half the floor area but not exceeding 20 sq m..

LOL. :rolleyes:

You'll be asking for Class 0 wallpaper and paint next. Settees hewn out of stone, cement board sideboards and quarry tiles instead of carpet.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to insulate anyway as it would be better right? what would be best to use?

take the plaster back to brick and use celotex or similar.

take the plaster back to brick and use celotex or similar.
If the OP does that, then fruity's mates will want an application under Part L and he'll potentially have to add a lot more insulation than he wants to.

Last edited:
I'd like to insulate anyway as it would be better right? what would be best to use?
You're looking at a major job taking about 50-70mm off the room width and messaging about with sockets and window reveals.

And you can't just insulate because of the fire risk, it will need insulation and plasterboard and skim then your cladding.

A foil backed PIR foam board is the most efficient - ie greater insulation for thinner thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back