Insulating between floors

M

marsaday

I know you insulate the envelope of a building, but what about adding insulation between the floors. Wouldn't this help the ground floor out a bit more by keeping the heat down on that floor?

i was thinking of taking up the bedroom floor (over a cold lounge) when i come to redo this room (re-skimming etc, decorating) and just laying down 200mm of roll insulation.

Would i be wasting my efforts? The house roof area is well insulated before you ask.

cost wise = £20 insulation roll. plus my time.

Sponsored Links
new houses have this as standard these days,so go for it.

oh, didn't know that. i may look into doing the whole 1st floor then.

Sponsored Links
does the insulation knows the difference???.
i.e, if its placed for sound,will it not work for heat loss and vice versa??? :LOL:

No, the insulation doesn't know the difference but physics does !

From memory the proper sound-deadening quilt is four or five times the density of the insulation, so if you finish up with 50 mm, you started off with 200 mm +.

Whilst this material will still have some insulation value, it will not be optimal because the air, which is a major insulating factor, is squeezed out instaed of being trapped in the fibres,

I don't recall what the insulating value is, not even sure if the mftrs state it on literature I have seen.

For my information, can anyone tell me the most common materials being used to meet this spec ?

i.e, if its placed for sound,will it not work for heat loss and vice versa??? :LOL:
You knowledge of the regs is somewhat limited Chukka63, insulation designed for sound reduction does not have the same reducing effect on heat loss and vice versa. As MW points out, you're not supposed to use the same insulation for both although you probably do! :rolleyes:

ok, so the regs do this for sound, but does anyone know if it will make an impact on keeping heat in a room (in this case the lounge).

Adding insulation to floor voids not only reduces sound travel but also stifles air movement thus reducing drafts and subsequent heat loss.

However, in order to satisfy reg's using fibreglass insulation within a floor void would require 250mm thickness should you require it, i.e. above a garage for example.

You knowledge of the regs is somewhat limited Chukka63, insulation designed for sound reduction does not have the same reducing effect on heat loss and vice versa. As MW points out, you're not supposed to use the same insulation for both although you probably do! :rolleyes:

i realise theyre different but cant remember sound deadening quilt being mentioned.maybe i missed it somewhere.

I know you insulate the envelope of a building, but what about adding insulation between the floors. Wouldn't this help the ground floor out a bit more by keeping the heat down on that floor?

i was thinking of taking up the bedroom floor (over a cold lounge) when i come to redo this room (re-skimming etc, decorating) and just laying down 200mm of roll insulation.

Would i be wasting my efforts? The house roof area is well insulated before you ask.

cost wise = £20 insulation roll. plus my time.
If its going to cost you 20 quid and a few hours work..you dont mind....then do it....i did and if its helped i aint to sure. but i feel better for it. i just made sure i left a space around any elecy fittings... a piece of mind thing i think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back