Insulating/boarding a stone wall questions.

Sponsored Links
You need to spray the wall first with water not too much though a plant sprayer does the job ok.

Just for the record this hasn't worked out very well. The storm down here is mental and I started by placing the board onto the fireplace wall, so the board was being blown off the wall which worried me. It also gave me a sense of how limited the contact is with the adhesive, I'm just not confident
a random sheet might one day pop off the wall so going to have the wall sand/cemented instead

Sponsored Links
I've always been very dubious about using foam to stick plasterboard (or insulated board) to walls. Boards are heavy!

You could batten and screw the boards to that. I've done that a lot here, to stone walls that are in worse shape (so harder to get fixings into).

I've bought some plasterboard with polystryene attached and was going to bond it to a basement stone wall using a bonding foam http://www.screwfix.com/p/soudal-expanding-sticky-foam-750ml/50519

Was just wondering if this will work and whether I'll need to clean the wall before applying the board?

I wouldn't use foam for this job because stone is uneven and often crumbly and dusty.

The method i use is : measure and mark out 400 centres from one wall and screw a 2"x1" batten down each end, leaving the screw heads just enough under the surface of the timber so i can drive the screw in and out to plumb and straiten the batten. then i pack each screw tighten against the wall then spray expanding foam in the gaps in the batten.
when both end battens are up and plumb both ways i screw the rest of the battens to the wall on their centres and use a strait edge horizontally off the two end battens to straiten up the middle battens then pack and foam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back