insulating cathedral roof

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi, I have a cathedral roof with 150mm joists and gib over the joists. I want to insulate it so I've screwed battens across the bottom of the joists and blocked out between them so that I can screw sheets of gib up. I intend to pack the space with pink batts but I don't know what to do about the existing ceiling. Should I knock out the old gib, which will be above the pink batts, to allow any moisture to evaporate into the roof space or can I leave it there? I intend to seal and paint the new gib so I think this won't be a problem.
Thanks,
NC

Sponsored Links
What is gib?
Frank
294251808e005cfd2ed37c4b0108078c.jpg

Sponsored Links
The lowest layer in any roof construction should be vapour proof. Any intermediate vapour roof layers would only trap moisture because the void would be sealed with little air flow.
Frank

The lowest layer in any roof construction should be vapour proof. Any intermediate vapour roof layers would only trap moisture because the void would be sealed with little air flow.
Frank
Does not the location of the vapour barrier depend on whether you are keeping heat in or keeping heat out, ie, if you are heating internally or cooling with air con?

Thanks POD, that's what I suspected. I'll drill some holes in the existing ceiling before I put the insulation in so moisture can evaporate out.
NC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back