New MF Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the good lady has talked me with changing one of our rooms used for storage into an office space for her. Yippee for me.

Iv ripped the old ceiling down due to cracks galore and some sagging - the ceiling was MF over original lathe and plaster thus was in a bit of a state. I have found that due to the nature of the beast (house being circa 1880 with 1940s extension) the joists are not even so fixing new MF direct to joists is not an option. Iv decided, to get a good flat and level mounting surface for the new mf, i will use a knauf type MF ceiling system utilizing the ceiling channel batons to run perpendicular the joists.

Now thats all well and good but i want to lower the ceiling as little as possible so do not want to used the whole mounting system associated with it - and australian manufacturer GIB manufactures exactly the same stuff but with a clip fixing to mount the ceiling channel direct to joists. Unfortunately i have searched and searched and can find a manufacturer in the uk that does a similar clip system.

Can any one advise of one or an alternate way of getting a level ceiling with out the obvious and excessive replacing joists.

PS, link to the clip and system i want to use. http://www.gib.co.nz/gib-rondo-metal-batten-31/

Many thanks. Anthony

Sponsored Links
have you looked a the CasoLine MF British Gypsum?
casoline
Also you must remember dropping your ceiling height will effect your lighting circuit cables(lengths on drops) to your ceiling roses/ ceiling mounted fittings.

Sponsored Links
Would you look at that. Ive prob spent two hours searching and even visited the british gypsum site and didn find what i wanted. The GypLyner UNIVERSAL is just what im looking for.

PrenticeBoy - thats the stuff i kept finding, unfortunatley you need to use it with a complete system.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back