Insulating external (above ground) hot water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have gas central heating in our house for the radiators.

We have a separate annexe and I want to pass the heating hot water to that building to supply a couple of radiators.

If I pass a pipe between the two buildings, it will pass 1metre which is outside and above cover so needs to be insulated.

I've seen Uponor insulated pipes, but can't figure out which pipe would be best.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Assuming the hot water may not be on for a week or so at a time... do you think this would protect it from freezing in the coldest months. I'm in south UK.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Upunor is quite a bespoke system and may be overkill for what you are trying to do. Not sure they supply say 22mm pipe with small enough sections for your short application either,

Armaflex do an external lagging - Tuffcoat - that is an excellent for external pipework. Double/ triple lag or box in for added protection. There are a number of others too. Just get something that is specific for your needs.

I pinged Uponor sales an email and they said I need the Ecoflex range.

"Thermo" for heating pipes and "Aqua" for hot water.

They said they sell it by the Metre.

The Thermo pipes look huge but very well insulated.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about compatibility with a domestic heating system @22mm and 15mm, might need some fancy adapters etc just for a meter span. It's a great product and excellent at what it does on a larger scale but for the small simply solution that is required, it may be a bit on the over engineered side just to carry the flow and return from the heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back