Most effective pipe & hot water tank insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. We have recently had a new boiler and hot water tank installed in the loft. The pipe insulation that the plumbers used doesn’t look great, so I am thinking of removing it and starting again. What is the most effective pipe insulation available?

I also notice that the temperature in my hot water tank drops overnight. I expect that things will improve when the pipes are better insulated, but would it make sense to buy a hot water tank jacket as well?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The sheet armaflex is good also but again expensive.
I've my copper cylinder done with the stuff which incidentally is fireproof grade. :mrgreen:
Its an acquired skill to fit armaflex especially when its a huge chiller tank that can go down to -20.
Any gaps, spaces etc and it bursts off with ice build up within weeks.

For a cylinder you'd have to go a long way to beat polyurethane as it is sprayed on and forms a seamless jacket but Expanded polystyrene is more resistant to water ingress.... For pipes, armaflex (Not sure what material it is made from) but it can be cut and glued together or jointed using Armaflex insulated tape.... If used outside, then Armaflex should be painted as it isn't UV stable and quickly turns to black dust. As already stated it is fire retardent which has saved my bacon several times

Sponsored Links
Any old foam insulation on pipes will do, you don't gain a whole lot from replacing one with another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back