Insulating external, single brick walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello knowledgeable People,

Just stumbled on the site, it looks great. Just what a dunce like me needs!
I've just bought a house with an outside coal shed and toilet. I plan to knock through from the kitchen to make a utility room and keep the toilet (spruced up a bit). I'm ok with most things, but the walls are single skin brick. I don't want to lose much space by building a wall inside, outside this is not an option either.
All I can think of are those rigid thermal boards, are they any good? Is there issues with condensation? Do they need some sort of ventilation?
There's probably other potential issues I've yet to think about, but if someone could let me know their thoughts I would be really grateful.

Many Thanks,

Shortwelsh.

Sponsored Links
If you're making it into part of the house, it needs to meet the requirements of building regs, which will probably entail building another wall with cavity and insulation. And the buildings probably wont have adequate foundations to be part of the house. :(

Thanks for your reply Crafty,

Poo! I shall seek advice from a local builder r.e. foundations and building regs.

Happy Easter,

Shortwelsh.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back