Insulating loft Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is insulated and boarded out (between the rafters isn't insulated, but I might come back to that one day), but I have question regarding the gable ends of the loft.

The boarding and insulation doesn't quite meet the wall, meaning there is a void that drops to the lower floor, effectively sending cold air downwards. Is this meant to be a gap here for ventilation, or should I seal this with insulation?

See the photos, but I'm not sure how far down that gap goes, but surely it's sending cold air down into the rest of the house, where it inevitably finds its way into the rooms.

For context, this a 200+ yr old house, but given the breeze blocks you can see in the photos there might be a cavity wall here, but not sure if that carries on below the loft.

So, to close the gap or not?

Thanks!

Attachments

• loft 2.jpg
    loft 2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 291
  • loft 1.jpg
    loft 1.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 312
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back