Insulating loft with 7cm joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone suggest an insulating material that I can use under the floorboards in my loft that will meet building regs? The joists are only 7cm deep. I can increase this to 10cm but its only a small loft and I can no way get to the 27cm of glass wool required by the regs. (Well I can but there would be a tiny floor space left!)

thanks

Sponsored Links
under the floorboards in my loft

Does this mean you have boards directly on your ceiling joists? This would suggest you can't achieve building regs compliance even before you start thinking about insulation. The ceiling joists are there to hold the ceiling up - not to support a floor (dead load) and additional items (imposed load).

There are insulation materials available (e.g. Kingspan, Celotex) which are easier to work with and 'sometimes' less builky than rockwool but it all depends on the individual situation and you would need to consult BC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back