Insulating Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was looking for a bit of advice.

I want to insulate my Loft and i'm hoping to convert to a double bedroom with ensuite at a later date. I've been given two quotes, by the same contractor one for £400 and one for £700. The one for £700 uses a more expensive material and Contractor assures me it will be re-used when they come to renovate the loft to insulate the walls and ceiling.

I'm seriously thinking of going for the more expensive quote. What do other people think, is this just a con to get more money? I'm thinking £700 is expensive, but if it is to be used again it might be the best one to go for.

Any advice would be more than helpful.

Solesister

Sponsored Links
What are the two materials? Fibreglass mat or rigid foam? What are the thicknesses?

Are they both to be applied between the loft "floor" timbers on top of the ceiling below, or is one to be applied to the slope of the roof?

It is just possible to re-use insulation, but the cost of materials is so slight compared to the labour and the overall cost of a loft conversion that I doubt you'll get your money back. they will have been trimmed to size. Almost as bad as trying to re-use stripped wallpaper when you move house ;) If you have a loft conversion the loft "floor" timbers will have to be greatly reinforced with much stronger ones so nothing will fit.

BTW unless you have a disability, you are perfectly capable of insulating a loft yourself. You just need a breadknife, a dust mask and a lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back