Planning my loft insulation - questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly thanks for all the advice on this forum, I've been reading for a while even if I've only just signed up!

I'm going to sort out my loft insulation in the summer, but have a few questions. To set the scene at the moment - mid 1990's detached property, currently has loft floor insulation of 100mm wool, and the roof is pitched rafters, membrane, tiles.

I'm going to convert the loft into storage space (but regularly accessed storage space), so I'm going to board the floor and would also like to improve the amount of insulation for the house, as 100mm floor isn't much. To make the storage a bit more hospitable, I was going to insulate the roof to make a warm loft.

I've done my reading up on the various panels, rolls, slabs etc, and I'm comfortable about the installation methods and the need for 50mm minimum airgap etc. I have a couple of questions though that I haven't been able to get answers to:

1) Does the roof need to be vented at the apex? If not then when I install the panels, although there are soffit vents at the bottom, would I not risk condensation issues?

2) At what point do I extent the insulation to? Logic makes me think that I should end the insulation line in line with the cavity wall gap, but is that right?

3) I need to measure my rafter depth, but I'm intending to use rafter depth (less 50mm) of double foiled insulation, and then if I need more depth, I'll board over the pitched rafters with one of the various insulation board products out there.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back