Insulating my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm interested in insulating my loft and putting down some boards so I can use it as usefull storage space, maybe as an small office. The insulation that is already down is inadequate. I've seen some postings that say to insulate only the between the rafters but I want to be able to stop the rest of my house from going cold as soon as the CH is off, I'm assuming its because of the inadequate loft insulation.

I'm not sure what to do and what materials to buy. Screwfix do some insulation

Thanks
Graham

Sponsored Links
grahamw01
How much will loft insulation cost?
The cost depends on the size of your house, however, with subsidies, it will usually cost between £150 and £220 – which can pay for itself in about 1 year.

How much loft insulation do I need?
To meet current Building Regulations you need 270mm of mineral wool insulation. 100mm between the ceiling joists and 170mm laid over the joists.

I want to use my loft for storage,what boards do I use ?
Use moisture resistant chipboard ,You will need a loft hatch which is minimum 600mm x 600mm.

How long would it take me to insulate my loft?
Allow about half a day once you have bought the insulation. Remember – you will need one layer of 100mm between your roof joists, then a second layer of 170mm on top (cross layered) to comply with current Building Regulations. Measure the area of your loft and look at the packaging label for the area contained in a roll.

many of the DIY sheds do rolls of insulation an loft boards ...

hope this helps you :)

Hi Graham, Just to follow on from the good advice already given, you may need to think about how you will fix boarding over the extra insulation. Maybe you could screw additional timbers on top of the existing joists to give room for the extra insulation then fix your boards on top. I know this means that will not have insulation running across (at right angles to) the joists but I think you need to fix boards directly into joists otherwise you get a very spongy floor. Oh, and don't forget all this insulation under your loft floor will make the loft very cold in winter (very little heat coming up from living area)! This may mean that you get condensation forming in the roof space which means extra ventilation required to the roof void, which means extra heat to keep you warm if you are using the space as an office. One thing leads to another I'm affraid. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back